PLAYER CODE OF CONDUCT:
High Sierra Lacrosse Player Code of Conduct
Everyone in the HSLL community—coaches, managers, families, fans, players, officials, and leadership—plays a vital part in creating memorable lacrosse experiences for our young people. Our roles may differ, but our goals are shared, and we can reach them by abiding by some simple common sense principles of good sportsmanship and good citizenship.
This universal code of conduct applies to all league players, parents, fans, coaches and participants of any type.
All members of our community are expected to...
Commit to an overarching culture of positivity, respectfulness and camaraderie. Don’t think US and THEM. Think WE.
Make a conscious choice to not vilify those who make mistakes. Calls will be missed; plays will be botched; rules will be broken...and life and lacrosse will go on.
Treat and address everyone you encounter with civility and respect: on the sidelines, in the stands, and through social media
Not judge others by rumor or what you’ve heard. Assume the best intentions, not the worst motivations.
Not be confrontational. If things get tense, work to de-escalate through respectful communication, then move on.
Hold no grudges. When a game ends, so should the battle.
Report issues that concern you. And if you can, work with others to help resolve them.
Appreciate and support those who play the game, and those who make playing it possible.
Be your best during the time spent with this game we all love, and look for the best in those around you. It is something to celebrate.
If you feel a sense of "outrage," take a few minutes to walk away and consider the source of your frustration. Take stock of the situation, the event, the individuals involved, and their intent. Once calm and settled, report the issue if you still think it is appropriate.
Specifically, players are required to...
Conduct themselves in accordance with this code, understanding that there will be consequences if they fail to do so.
Respect the authority of coaches, referees, and league officials.
Respect the efforts of other players and understand that there are people with different levels of skill, ability, and athleticism.
Encourage the progress of teammates and your opponents. It benefits all.
Remember that they are modeling behavior to teammates as well as younger players.
Be positive role models and show respect, courtesy and support for all players, coaches, officials and spectators. Always adhere to the highest standards of sportsmanship and fair play.
Not participate in or encourage unsportsmanlike conduct, including, but not limited to: booing; taunting; refusing to shake hands; using profane language, slurs or gestures; initiating fights or arguments; inflammatory social media use; or verbal or physical threats.
Not direct any remarks beyond general encouragement to players, coaches and officials from the stands or sidelines during competitions and practices—these folks are at work, leave them to their jobs.
Resolve disagreements without resorting to insults, hostility or violence. Teach the players to do the same.
Not use profanity.
Never participate in a league activity of any kind while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
Learn and abide by the rules of lacrosse and the policies of the league, program and team. Help others do the same.
Promote the emotional and physical well-being of the players ahead of any personal desire to win.
Win with grace; lose with dignity.
Players attest that...
Failure to abide by these codes will make them be subject to disciplinary action that may include, but is not limited to, the following:
Verbal warning from an official, head coach, program and/or the league;
Written warning from program and/or the league;
Suspension or immediate ejection from a game by an official, program and/or the league;
Game forfeit through an official, coach program and/or league;
Suspension from participation in HSLL programs and events.
I understand and accept the above.*
PARENT CODE OF CONDUCT:
N CONSIDERATION OF my child/ward, being allowed to participate in any way in High Sierra Lacrosse League related events and activities, the undersigned acknowledges, appreciates, and agrees that:
The risk of injury to my child from the activities involved in these programs is significant, including the potential for permanent disability and death, and while particular rules, equipment, and personal discipline may reduce this risk, the risk of serious injury does exist; and,
1. FOR MYSELF, SPOUSE, AND CHILD, I KNOWINGLY AND FREELY ASSUME ALL SUCH RISKS, both known and unknown, EVEN IF ARISING FROM THE NEGLIGENCE OF THE RELEASES or others, and assume full responsibility for my child’s participation; and,
2. I willingly agree to comply with the program’s stated and customary terms and conditions for participation. If I observe any unusual significant concern in my child’s readiness for participation and/or in the program itself, I will remove my child from participation and bring such attention of the nearest official immediately; and,
3. I myself, my spouse, my child, and on behalf of my/our heirs, assigns, personal representatives and next of kin, HEREBY RELEASE AND HOLD HARMLESS High Sierra Lacrosse League its directors, officers, officials, agents, employees, volunteers, other participants, sponsoring agencies, sponsors, advertisers, and if applicable, owners and lessors of premises used to conduct the event (“Releasees”), WITH RESPECT TO ANY AND ALL INJURY, DISABILITY, DEATH, or loss or damage to person or property incident to my child’s involvement or participation in these programs, WHETHER ARISING FROM THE NEGLIGENCE OF THE RELEASEES OR OTHERWISE, to the fullest extent permitted by law.
4. I, for myself, my spouse, my child, and on behalf of my/our heirs, assigns, personal representatives and next of kin, HEREBY INDEMNIFY AND HOLD HARMLESS all the above Releasees from any and all liabilities incident to my involvement or participation in these programs, EVEN IF ARISING FROM THEIR NEGLIGENCE, to the fullest extent permitted by law.
5. I, the parent/guardian, assert I have explained to my child/ward: the risks of the activity, his/her responsibilities for adhering to the rules and regulations, and that my child/ward understands this agreement.
I, FOR MYSELF, MY SPOUSE, AND CHILD/WARD, HAVE READ THIS RELEASE OF LIABILITY AND ASSUMPTION OF RISK AGREEMENT, FULLY UNDERSTAND ITS TERMS, UNDERSTAND THAT WE HAVE GIVEN UP SUBSTANTIAL RIGHTS BY AGREEING TO IT, AND AGREE TO IT FREELY AND VOLUNTARILY WITHOUT ANY INDUCEMENT.
UNDERSTANDING OF RISK: I understand the seriousness of the risks involved in participating in this program, my personal responsibilities for adhering to rules and regulation, and accept them as a participant*